Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

hi,i own a mercades 320ce 1992/3 and have had no problems with

Customer Question

hi,i own a mercades 320ce 1992/3 and have had no problems with ignition system, until i cleaned and washed the engine. on starting up after cleaning,the engine ran ok,until warm when it began to missfire. so i took out the plugs and there was dampness in the leads so i dried every part of the system.and she ran on 6 cylenders again.only to start to missfire again. i ran the engine to see if it would clear but no,so i took out the plugs again to discover that the coil pack that feeds number3 &4 cylenders was not fireing,so to cut a long storey short i ordered a new coil pack. i fitted the new coil and tried to start the engine. this time it would not start at all. it is fireing , but it is all over the place.allmost like the wrong fireng order,but i cant see how i can go wrong with that. i must say that i have had 24 years experience in the motor trade as a mecanic,all be it quite some time ago, hope you can throw some light on the problem. i have used your services before and found it to be exellent.d. brown. p.s i have fitted a new set of beru plugs, i wanted bosch or ngk but i got the french ones.hope they are compatible.

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what info are you looking for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what info do you require?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. No further information is being requested at this time. Please note that the automatic header that indicates a message is waiting for you refers to messages, replies, or questions as requests for information whether or not a question is being asked. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I apologize for the wait. The first thing I would do is verify the correct firing order. Click here for the firing order. The picture on the lower left of the diagram shows the correct firing order. If the firing order is correct I would replace the ignition wires and plug connectors. I would also remove all of the coils and make absolutely sure that the spark plug wells have completely dried out. If the motor is firing randomly the problem is most likely incorrect firing order, bad ignition wires or there is still moisture accumulated in the spark plug wells. I would also check all of the fuses in the main fuse box and also check the fuse in the overvoltage protection relay mounted in the module compartment at the rear of the engine room. Let me know how you make out.