MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi my 2000 ml270 does not kick down when I try to it pulls

Customer Question

Hi my 2000 ml270 does not kick down when I try to it pulls away fine from a standing start and if you slow down for say a round about it pulls and changes up as normal but if you are in top and try to increase speed it does not kick down it does change down if you use the gear leaver and knock it down
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am ok to wait till 15:00 Saturday 01/06/2013 then I will have to leave the car with my local garage as I am going away

Keith

:

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

There are many possibilities for this & the first step will be to have the car checked on a diagnostic tool such as Mercedes STAR to see if any faults are stored in the engine or transmission system.

Some models have a kickdown switch under the throttle pedal - this should be checked for correct operation to make sure it is switching. I have seen these stick or break.

Faults in the engine will also restrict kickdown - check for any fault codes causing limp mode - boost pressure faults are common due to air leaks or blocked catalytic converters or EGR faults.

The MAF sensor also plays an important part in the gearshift program - ensure this is reading correctly using a diagnostic tool.

Ensure the throttle position sensor is reading correctly using a diagnostic tool from 0-100% and adjust or replace as required.

Let me know how you get on & if you need anything else.

Best regards, Paul