MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Sir I am am looking to buy a 10 yrold A Class Petrol possibly

Customer Question

Sir
I am am looking to buy a 10 yrold A Class Petrol possibly the 2002 Evolution 2.1 Auto and have heard rumours that the Auto boxes on these models are not as bombproof as the other classes , and I have never had a auto box problem with any Merc I have had over 40 yrs .
I would be grateful of your candid professional advice .
Many Thanks XXXXX
Deal .Kent XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi, The auto box on the A Class is cartainly quite a weak point and is very expensive to repair if it does go wrong. It is also very difficult to say how long they will last - they will suddenly fail without too much notice.

MBpaul :

The electronic controlled valve body is a common failure and also the clutch carriers inside the transmission can fail - both are extrememly expensive to repair - often to the point where the vehicle is uneconomical to repair with the age & value of the cars these days

MBpaul :

I would personally recommend the manual gearbox version of the A Class - these are fairly robust & the transmission provides very little problems other than the clutch may need replacing at higher mileage

MBpaul :

The semi auto (clutchless manual) is also an expensive transmission to repair with problems with the clutch hydraulic control module & would avoid this transmission also!

MBpaul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul

JACUSTOMER-kfqq79jo- :

Thanks Paul.

JACUSTOMER-kfqq79jo- :

I must admit to being a bit disapointed , can you tell me if in your experience A class boxes differ from e class in regard to reliability and are they more prone to failure on a particular A class,£33 to say such a vague answer was not expected ,

JACUSTOMER-kfqq79jo- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-kfqq79jo- :

chris w

MBpaul :

Hi - I was not trying to be vague - I have pointed out the common failure points on the A Class auto transmission and the favt that they are often uneconomical to repair due to costs

MBpaul :

They are certainly more prone to failure than the rest of the Mercedes models - the transmission is completely different to the transmissions in the rest of the Mercedes models

MBpaul :

I am not sure exactly what more information you need?

MBpaul :

Could you let me know if you are looking for any more specific information?

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul