Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 260 E 90 model Mercedes benz import. It has spark

Customer Question

I have a 260 E 90 model Mercedes benz import. It has spark and fuel and will start normally.However if Ishould happen to drive somewhere it just cuts out while driving. While car is stationary the fuel pump works and there is spark in the spark plugs.However ,if I leave the car for a while it then starts.Can you please advise of possible problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. If you have spark and fuel pump operation when the car dies and will not start I would suspect a bad distributor cap and rotor. It is very common for the cap and rotor to short out on this model. When this happens you will still have spark but it will jump around randomly inside the cap and cause a no start and stall. If you have not yet replaced the cap and rotor I would go ahead and do that. Most likely it will solve this problem.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Lisa, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this?

Marty