MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

are the ecu unit and mass air flow connected to the gearbox

Customer Question

are the ecu unit and mass air flow connected to the gearbox on a merc class A auto on pre 2003 models
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi, they are not directly connected - the MAF sensor is part of the engine ECU which is located on the top of the engine, however the transmission does get engine load data from the engine ECU via CAN network which is calculated from the MAF readings which it uses for gearshift information.

MBpaul :

So although not physically connected a bad MAF can cause gearbox shifting issues if it is giving incorrect information

MBpaul :

I hope that answers your question - please let me know if you need anything else otherwise please remember to rate my answer positively

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul