Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

how do I shorten drivers seat cushion length (I have short

Customer Question

how do I shorten drivers seat cushion length (I have short legs), on an E240 avantgarde 4 door - 2004 model?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is MIKE...

Im afraid that this is not really a do- able task.... to shorten the seat length would mean literally cutting the seats' metal framework -and that not really be advisable.

If you feel it is something you are needing and determined to do, it would be a case of stripping the seat - you would need to remove the seat from the car - ( you would need to disconnect the car battery to kill the SRS / seatbelt / air bag circuits first )... disconnect all the relevant wiring - remove the seat as above and then literally strip the seat of its covers ( which are held by what's called hog rings - you prise them open / off to remove the covers) and internals - foam etc - then when faced with the seat - do whatever you feel you want to do it to.. Im assuming you are thinking of cutting the front of the frame work off -and welding the cross bar back after having cut off so many inches - and of course then you would have to cut the foam to size -and then somehow make the covers fit properly again.

That's the basics of it - but as its not a "recommended" task - there are no "proper " instructions for that job...so I can only advise as above.

To be honest as well, I wonder whether even doing that will help you - you would be shortening the seat - but / so you would be no further forward... What would perhaps be a better option would be to use something like a booster cushion - but placed on the back of the seat - so that when seated - you are seated / positioned further forward..... I feel that would overall be a better idea for you....

I hope the above helps you in deciding what to do in this case -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc... which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In my E-class owners manual, pages 100 - 101 it tells me I can, but I cannot locate the control panel.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

I am sorry - it seems I have misunderstood your terminology re "shorten the seat ".... you can ignore all that I have put above.

Take a look at the on line interactive manual for this... for that , click HERE... you can see all the adjustments referred to there.. click that link above.

Do bear in mind that not all adjustments are the same - throughout the range - ie.. the manual ( s ) -both paper / book and online interactive cover all the range functions but if you cannot find that function on your model, then it wont have it....

I hope that helps you further - once again, my apologies for the misunderstanding initially -

..... Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings system for me now at this point as that's how I'm credited or helping / advising you via justanswer ... Thank you in advance for that ...

NB : You can get back to me anytime you might need / wish - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE...