Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

Hi There, I have a 55 reg 350 SL some times my wipers do not

Customer Question

Hi There, I have a 55 reg 350 SL some times my wipers do not work at the same time
I get the air bag light flashing on/off on the speedo and glove box and the roll bar indicator
flashing on/off and clicking behind the seats ( like a relay operating on/off )
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK to wait

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

First, you need to try to extend the roll bar mechanically (manually), as it seems to be stuck causing the clicking and the warning lights (it does make the airbag light flicker as well, however other faults could exist). Here is the detailed procedure:
click here for details

This is not an easy task, read the instructions carefully, and proceed if you are sure you can handle this. This should take care of the warning lights, and if they stay on, then you need to hook on to a MB scan tool, to retrieve the fault codes, which should point out the faulty component or circuit to be checked accordingly.

As for the wipers, they have a motor and linkages. One of the linkages (or the teeth on the blade) are either loose or worn, causing the wipers to be out of synch. You need to remove the black plastic cover under the windshield in the engine compartment, to gain access to the linkages, and check which one is loose, or worn, and replace accordingly.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi There,

Thanks for that, the wipers operate perfect and are not out

of synch

The only time the wipers will not work is when the SRS light and roll bar

light are on the speedo stationary or driving

As for the clicking relay on the roll bar this happened whilst driving

so will check that area.

Warning lights off wipers work perfect, lights on wipers do not work

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

In this case, i would start by checking the ground points (ground connections), in engien bay, under dash (in foot wells), and check the connectors under the front seats.
Get back to me with your results.