Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Hi, I have an unusual problem. I have an old R plated E200

Customer Question

Hi, I have an unusual problem. I have an old R plated E200 automatic and last Friday I spilled a can of lemonade over the centre console. The gator around the gear stick is broken so the drink went down the gear stick. Despite mopping it up the car suddenly made a couple of jerks and I discovered that the car was stuck in first gear. Even when I tried locking the gears in other gears it would change. I don't have any warning lights on the dash. What have I done ?

Many thanks and kind regards John
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hello John,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

yes, please continue with your search as really need an answer.

Many thanks and kind regards

John

Hello John,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello John,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello John and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Straight forward, you have caused some electrical problem (most likely a short circuit) within the gear shifter controls.

The first thing to try now, would be removing the gear shift assembly, and cleaning it, dry it out thoroughly (you can use a hairdryer, to dry out the connectors), or put in the sun for a few hours... and then refit, and hopefully it will work. If not, i'm afraid, it will require replacement.

I will include some instructions and diagrams to help you with this:
click here for details

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy