MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I just bought a SLK 230 auto W reg a week ago. Only 3 lady

Customer Question

I just bought a SLK 230 auto W reg a week ago. Only 3 lady owners and in great condition. Everything fine until yesterday when I couldn't get the roof down when I left work having had it down and closed just a few hours before at lunch. Very very hot yesterday though, wondered if heat had anything to do with it. Stopped a mile or so from home and it worked but then when I got home it wouldn't close. Tried this a.m. and it closed then couldn't get it open. The switch is flashing as opposed to constant. I think it is something to do with the plastic kind of roller in the boot which doesn't spring back if you know what I mean

Can you help?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi - the roof is quite complex and has its own control unit with its own diagnostic memory. In the first instance I would recommend the car is checked on Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool to see what codes are stored.

MBpaul :

There are several limit switches around the roof and quite often a fault like this is with a bad switch.

MBpaul :

A very common problem for what you have described is with a sticking roof closed or roof locked switch - these often stick in the heat and later on will work fine as if nothing is wrong like you have described.

MBpaul :

When this fault occurs we usually replace all 3 switches as they are all common failure points.

MBpaul :

There are 2 locked switches on the roof catches on the front of the roof centre section (these come as one part from Mercedes joined together with a wiring harness) and the roof closed switch is located on the right latch on the bodywork above the windscreen

MBpaul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul

JACUSTOMER-gth4y2uv- :

Thank you for your response. I have it booked in tomorrow morning with Mercedes for them to take a look at.

JACUSTOMER-gth4y2uv- :

Just one thing, the luggage rack in the boot doesn't roll back like it should although it did when I bought it. Now it is just floppy and has no tension (if that's the right word).

MBpaul :

Hi, the luggage cover does need to be in place - however the tension does not really make that much difference as long as the micro switch is engaged where it locates in the rear trim panel

MBpaul :

As long as this is engaging (you can usually hear or feel a slight click as you insert it) and the switch is functioning then this should be ok

MBpaul :

As the fault is intermittent and affected by heat then I would say that the front switches are a likely cause - we do replace quite a few for the exact symptoms you have described

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul

JACUSTOMER-gth4y2uv- :

Mercedes have determined it is the luggage cover that is the problem and not the switches. It's being fixed on Monday (hopefully). I hope they are right.

MBpaul :

ok - it is a little odd that it is intermittent how you described it especially being temperature dependant but without actually physically seeing the car myself to inspect it is obvioul

MBpaul :

sorry - obviously difficult at times to say for sure over the internet!

MBpaul :

I hope all goes well and please let me know if you need anything else

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul