MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

How common is a timing chain problem in an 05 E class Mercedes

Customer Question

How common is a timing chain problem in an '05 E class Mercedes (with 121,000 km on the clock)?
Michael
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi - it depends on if your vehicle is a petrol or diesel model. The diesel models are very reliable and have very little problems at all. The petrol engine version has been known to fail which can cause damage resulting in the engine requiring replacement. I wouldnt say it is a really common failure and has only been a small percentage of vehicles we see but it is a possible failure. I would also recommend inspecting the camshaft sprockets for wear as when the chain wears the teeth on these sprockets wear as well, when this happens the chain eventually the chain jumps over the worn sprocket teeth or can even snap causing further damage to the engine

MBpaul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul