MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

A friend has a C240, 2.6 Auto, 2000 model. The car has been

Customer Question

A friend has a C240, 2.6 Auto, 2000 model. The car has been left sitting in the drive for two months and the battery has drained. The gearbox is not stuck in park! AA came to look at it and managed to get the selector to work by removing/bypassing a fuse? Any ideas what needs to be done? Car only has 70000 miles on it an full service history.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi - I would always recommend a diagnostic check on a tool such as Mercedes STAR diagnosis, this will often have fault codes stored relating to issues like this and may help inpoint the problem.

MBpaul :

A very common problem however is a faulty stop lamp switch (even though the stop lamps may work just fine)

MBpaul :

This is very cheap & easy to replace - it is located just above the brake pedal

MBpaul :

If you did not want to have a diagnostic check carried out then I would replace this first

MBpaul :

Another problem can be the selector module itself but I would recommend strongly having a diagnostic check carried out before any other repairs are carried out if it is not just the stop lamp switch!

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Obviously Merc diagnostics is an option but I would have thought that there may have been a more common fault after a battery is drained and then charged.

MBpaul :

Hi - I have given you the most common problem! A faulty stop lamp switch, as said I would try this first if you do not want to go to Mercedes for a diagnostic check.

MBpaul :

Unfortunately with modern computerised systems you do need diagnostic equipment to correctly diagnose many issues, I am sorry that you think my service is poor but it would appear that you do not really want to hear what I need to say!

MBpaul :

Regards, Paul