Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

WE HAVE VITO VAN 2008 109 ON CONTROL PANEL FROM 60 DAYS IS

Customer Question

WE HAVE VITO VAN 2008 109
ON CONTROL PANEL FROM 60 DAYS IS FLASHING BATTERY CHARGE MALFACTION
CAN YOU ADVICE WHAT TO DO
THANKS
MAIA
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Please tell me what readings you are getting when you check the battery voltage - both when standing - ie, engine off... and engine on..

Plus- is the battery going dead on you over days?

What mileage has the van done?

Rgds - MIKE......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

sorry for delayed i was ill

van is 171.000 miles

never going dead on,

but i don't know how and where to check the battery voltage

please help

thanks

Maia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

battery voltage read

12.8 when standing

14.3 when engine on

never going dead

mileage 171,000

please help

kindest regards

Maia

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again...

First - my sincere apologies.. I have had the same problem as yourself! My apologies.

So to progress... I see you have changed the alternator... can I just ask if you have got any fault codes out of the system and what they are?

Kind rgds - and apologies again...

MIKE................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

not a problem

i been so busy as well.

My husband check van but not any fault codes are showing

thanks

please advice

Have a nice weekend

Maia

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Maia..

I do apologise for the delay here - Basically to explain - because its been a little while all told, the question timed out..so I lost track of it.. I have , of course, found you again now..

Ok so - where are we at exactly now?

I see you have the readings above - but you still then have the battery charge malfunction fault yes ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

basically we have before flashing light for alternator on control panel .

new alternator was install by our mechanics

but flashing light continued to flash

please help

thanks

kindest regards

Maia

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Maia -

Thank you for your message -

Ok - there are a couple of things apart form a faulty alternator that can cause this.

The first thing to check is the wiring - at the back of the alternator - It can get loose / bad or corroded fixing points - and too - the wires coming out of the alternator can break - inside the insulation - so that all needs checking. Feel the wire all along -you can usually feel if it feels "odd" anywhere inside - usually thats within 12" or so from the alternator -If needed slit the insulation to check / repair.

Follows the cables back - and from the battery too - They go to a black "Box" - you will see it there - check the connections there - they often come a bit loose - and that will cause this too... Of course check the battery connections too - inc the main earth - where it connects to the body - and then to the engine.

Now if wiring faults are ruled out- there is something else that needs to be checked. On the alternator (your new one) they have a "clutch" fitted - a part of the belt pulley arrangement - check or have that checked. If its faulty - and espeically if they have transferred your old original one to the new alternator ( which many do ! ) - then that can be your whole cause of this. A new fan / clutch pulley assembly would cure this issue for you then.

So work through as above Maia - Im sure you will find the fault that way...

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.