Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi, I have a 2003 Merc sl500, the car starts up fine and drives

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 Merc sl500, the car starts up fine and drives well but when I turn off the ignition and pop to the shops etc when I try to start it again it won't start, it try's to turn over but won't kick in. I've changed my crank shaft sensor but still the same problem, any advice would be greatful.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. I would not rule out the possibility that you received a defective crankshaft sensor. Ideally the car should be tested for ignition spark from the coils when the car will not start. If the car sounds like it wants to start but doesn't catch I would suspect a fault with the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. A fuel pressure test should be performed when the car doesn't start to see if you have low or no fuel pressure. Those are the 3 most common causes of an intermittent crank/no start when hot on the Mercedes. Please let me know if you have any questions.