Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi I have 2004 a class and the central locking does not lock

Customer Question

Hi I have 2004 a class and the central locking does not lock with the remote
However it does unlock but the interior lamps stay on all the time
Also the doors lock as you move off and unlock as you stop .interior button will only unlock doors any ideas? Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and welcome. My name is Marty. It sounds like you have one or more bad door locks or bad door jamb switches. If the door lock or switch is not registering that the door has closed the interior lights will remain on. When you try to drive off the system tries to automatically lock the doors but the faulty door lock or switch prohibits it from happening and the locks try to unlock. This is also why you cannot lock the doors. If the system senses that a door is not closed it will prevent you from locking the car. I would check the adjustment of all of the door locks and see if any doors are not closing fully. If you have a helper push in on each door while you try to lock the car with the remote you may be able to locate the faulty door lock. Some of the Mercedes use a small door jamb switch just below the door striker to signal whether the door is open or closed. If you have the jamb switches the problem could simply be a bad switch or a door that is not adjusted to close tightly enough. If you get the car connected to the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester the technician should be able to view the open/close status of each door to determine where the problem is.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty