mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi. I have Merc C200 Cdi, W203, 51 Reg, Manual. At once all

Customer Question

Hi. I have Merc C200 Cdi, W203, 51 Reg, Manual. At once all rear lights stopped working. However, sometimes come back again. Also, the central locking is playing up and the boot lid can't be open by the remote or the button at the driver's door.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on?
How old is the vehicles battery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is just one message on the computer : "Stop light please visit a garage".And nothing else.The battery is at least 3 years old but the car always starts well.
Ok when this message appears this is normally the brake light/interlock switch that is mounted on the brake pedal that is starting to electrically fail and causing the symptoms that you are having. This is a fairly common issue on these vehicles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please,note that not only the stop lights are not working.My car has no rear indicators, no rear side lights and no rear hazard lights.This evening the stop lights came back but none of the others.The central locking was fine too.It`s just crazy.This happened a few times.

Ok with this new information this is a body control module issue. The module is what controls all of these functions sand from the description there is a communication issue and the vehicle is going to need to be scanned and they fault reset.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much is the average price for fixing such a fault?Do you actually mean that the ECU needs resetting please or it`s something else?

Yes from the description of the symptoms you are having the ECU needs to be updated or reset to fix this problem,the labor for this will be about 2 hours at the dealers hourly labor rate . Thank you.