Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

mercedes c180 estate 2002 petrol.Fuel not transfering to both

Customer Question

mercedes c180 estate 2002 petrol.Fuel not transfering to both sides of tank
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name is Marty. It sounds like the transfer hoses were not connected to the pump or to the sending unit. There are hoses that run from side to side in the tank. The pump draws the fuel from the right side and returns it to the left side where it is forced back over to the right side by a mechanical jet pump in the tank. If the lines are not connected or are kinked you will not push the fuel back over to the right side of the tank.

Marty :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there is nothing wrong with the hoses and there is no electric pump sending it back to the right handside side.The only electric pump in the tank is the one on the right side which is feeding the fuel rail.I need to know what makes the fuel go from the left side to the right

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you still looking into this

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi glyn, sorry I missed your reply earlier. There is only the electric pump on the right side but there is a jet pump on the other side. The fuel is forced through the jet pump over to the right side of the tank. If the lines inside the fuel tank are all connected and not kinked the fuel should spray over to the right side. I am referring to hoses inside the fuel tank from the sending unit to the pump.

Let me know if you need more help with this.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Glyn, I'm just following up with you on this problem. Did you receive my reply earlier today?