MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

On an 1998 C250 Turbodeisel, my only key is dead. Drove to

Customer Question

On an 1998 C250 Turbodeisel, my only key is dead. Drove to the shop OK, went round the shop, wont work when I came out. I opened up the key and a small coil was hanging by a single strand of copper, which then snapped, so key is useless. I can get another key from Merc for about £250, but I'm wondering if I can get a key and ignition barrel from a scrap yard for less, and fit them myself. The question is - will it work? Is the code read in the barrel, which then allows the barrel to turn, of will I end up with the wrong code sent to the computer, so the car still wont work?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

The system for security is quite complex on Mercedes - the key, ignition module, steering lock and engine ECU are all interlocked and replacing one ofthese components with a second hand part from another car will not work

MB Paul :

The rest of the system will see a part coded for another car so the vehicle will still be immobilised

MB Paul :

The only solution is to order a key from a dealer which is coded for you car

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul