Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

my merc ml270 04 plate wont start just clicks left it a day

Customer Question

my merc ml270 04 plate wont start just clicks left it a day the started ,it started today then a hour later wont start just clicks but if its the battery it wouldn't be flat one day then start the next would it ???
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ...

As you say, if it was down to a flat battery then no it wouldn't normally pick up charge again to start it later - but strange things can influence that - so.. the first thing to do is check the connections to the battery are good - check the wiring all around the engine bay and especially to the starter motor and alternator. Check all connections are tight... rectify any loose connections / bad wires etc and retry it.

If all that checks out as ok, then the starter motor itself is usually the suspect - failing intermittently internally - but some of these had a relay in the circuit. You would need to give the local MB dealer parts dept a call - have your vans VIN at the ready -and they will check to see if your actual one has a relay or not- and if it is - where it is. That that would need to be checked and / or changed if needed..

After that - I would suggest have the battery pro tested at a garage - just to be sure its not that - (the weather can influence battery's holding their charge etc - )

If all else is ruled out, the electronics on the starter system would need plug in diagnostic tests - for that you would need garage help as it needs the equipment - but there is a lot else you can work through as above first before that and hopefully find the problem there and to be able to cure it without diagnostic testing.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.