Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have a 1996 Merc E220 estate. The back rest part of the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1996 Merc E220 estate. The back rest part of the child seat in the boot is stuck in the upright position. It seems it is only stuck on the left side (looking from the tailgate). Do you have any hints on how to release it? Many thanks. Martin
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Martin - Welcome ..

My name is MIKE Im happy to help you with this.

Usually its just that the catch is literally, caught, stuck because either the latch or the mechanism or seat, has gone slightly out of line - usually down but can be from one side or the other... Obviously I cant say for sure as I can say it - what Im saying is that thats what usually happens - they don't normally break as such.

So - to release it , you may need a helper - one to lift / "budge" the seat up / to one side while you pull at the catch -and it should release.

Once you have it open just check it - check to se if its gone out of line or it can be that it just needs a good dose of easing oil - as sometimes they can be literally seizing - usually through lack of use in that case.

Whatever you find has happened though - one way or the other as above you should be able to release it and then be able to determine properly what happened to fix it from happening again..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the OK/ Excellent ratings for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.