Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just put a heavy duty battery into my Mercedes E200 Kompressor.

Customer Question

Just put a heavy duty battery into my Mercedes E200 Kompressor. However, On the old battery there is a small slot that a small narrow tube fits into close to the positive end. On the new heavy duty battery this slot for the tube does not exist and is not present. Ignition is turning but "ESP Off is displayed on dashboard unit. Can you help?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the small tube is a battery gas vent

not all batteries have them and its nothing to worry about

the ESP off message is electronic stability programme

and the car should still start and run

if the ESP is off then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.