Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2012 3ltr Viano. I have a stand alone tom tom which

Customer Question

I have a 2012 3ltr Viano. I have a stand alone tom tom which loses gps when I put the key in ignition.
When the fan you can hear inside the dash ( I presume cooling fan for electronics) goes off the GPS signal returns. This occurs with a 20 metre radius of the vehicle. I have brought a new tom tom and have them next to each other on the dash board and the both behave exactly the same and same time.
I am sure some thing is corrupting the gps signal from inside the vehicle electronics. The mercedes sat nav works ok, but I prefer my tom tom.
Can you suggest a cure. Mercedes have not heard of this , nor tom tom
Regards XXXXX XXXXX
P.s
I have noticed that when I am parked in traffic the cars next to me also lose there signal( makes me laugh, but shouldn't )
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Howard,