Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2006 Mercedes S500. The heater fan has stopped working.

I have a 2006 Mercedes S500. The heater fan has stopped working. The heater is still working as I can feel the heat coming slowly from the vent, however it is not enough to de-mist the car. I have looked for the fuse diagram however it is missing from the toolkit (in case it is just a blown fuse). Can anyone help?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX this a W220 chassis? If you are not sure can you post your 17 digit vin number for me?

Customer:

I don't know what a W220 chassis is. It is a S500L (long wheel base) WDD11712A045982.

Customer:

Robert

Marty :

Hi Robert, can you recheck the vin number you posted? It looks like it is missing some numbers. I believe you have a W220 chassis but want to be sure before looking up the fuse charts.

Customer:

it was WDD2211712A045982 - that is 17 digits

Marty :

Ok, you actually have the W221 chassis. I need a few minutes to check my diagrams.

Marty :

Fuse 54 in the front fuse box under the hood is for the blower motor.

Marty :

Click on the fuse box diagram above for the fuse position in the fuse box.

Marty :

Most likely the fuse will be fine. What usually fails is the blower motor or the blower regulator.

Marty :

Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Marty :

Are you still in the chat?

Customer:

This is a 40 watt fuse. It doesn't look blown, however swapped it with another 40watt one and the blowers still don't work. What next to do?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
It's usually the blower motor or regulator that fails. Next step is to remove the panelling under the passenger side dash and remove and test the blower motor. The regulator provides the ground to the motor. If the blower motor works on the bench I would replace the regulator. I've attached the instructions for removing the blower motor and regulator below. The instructions are shown on a right hand drive car. Just reverse them for a left hand drive. The blower motor and regulator are under the passenger side.

Remove Blower Motor And Regulator
Remove Paneling Below Dash

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any idea how much it should cost to fix? (is a bit over my head).

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
I would expect a 1 - 2 hour labor charge to test and replace either the blower motor or the regulator. The motor and the regulator are approximately $290 US.