Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

i have a Mercedes E240, V6, and the hydraulic lifters wont

i have a Mercedes E240, V6, and the hydraulic lifters wont pump up
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this...

First - I need to know more on this -

Please tell me all you can, then we can progress.

Also - have you flushed the engine?

Have you definately got oil coming up to the top of the engine?

Did you compress the lifters when they were out?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for helping out,

The answers to your questions are:

- Yes we've flushed the engine at the beginning hoping that it would clear the problem

- Didn't work, so we took the engine apart, cause we also suspected that it might have a bad head gasket as it was loosing cooling fluid

- Anyway, we've cleaned it inside out, cleaned all the oil passages

- Put the engine back together

- Run the engine still noise and lifters wont pump up

- we have oil coming all the way up to the lifters, but still they do not pump up

- I don't understand what you mean by compressing the lifters?

- But as I was thinking again, I have a question, on the inside of the rocker arm, where the lifter sits in, should there be a groove around the circumference for the oil to flow around the lifter, so that oil would go inside the lifter at any position cause the lifter does rotate, I think that this might be what we have missed, probably its full of sludge, so solid that whoever is cleaning it thought its normal without a groove. I'll try to send you a drawing to explain my question, hope this helps,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Her is the drawing

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again -

Thank you for your reply..and further info.

Ok yes, that groove should be clear as should the oil feed hole.

The further problem though with a seriously gunged engine, is that the lifters may have gunge in them that you struggle to get out - in fact, because of the work involved, if the engine was seriously gunged, for that reason we would normally renew / replace them all.

As to compressing them - when the lifters are out, before they are refitted its good practice to compress them to slowly squeeze all the oil out of them - this prevents "jacking" when the engine is running - but actually you may not have that issue, not if its not misfiring at all - so.. it appears - and especially as you have oil up to them, then oil is either not getting in them to do the job...because of what you have said, re the groove feed hole - or, they are just to gunged inside.

You could try compressing them in a vice as per above to get any gunge out - but other than that , its renew time to cure this. If you do try to compress them - I would suggest submerge them in petrol for 24 hours to soften the gunge at least to some degree before trying to get them clear..

Its a case of deciding how much more you want to be doing to it - by way of the work , or just renew them. As you have the oil up - there is no reason for new ones not to work... Just one thing - ensure you have the correct grade of oil in the engine - too thick oil and the lifters wont work correctly... So that - one way or the other, is the way forward on this one now to get this cured for you .

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert