Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I keep getting locked out of my van then will not accept key

I keep getting locked out of my van then will not accept key fob then when driving all doors lock while on the nothing is happening

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Can I just ask - has any work of any sort been done on the vehicle prior to this happening?

Has the battery on the vehicle been drained / replaced at all ?

Have you had any proper test / checks done at all ?

Is it the same whichever key you use?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

battery not been touched and fully charged. no checks or tests made.i only have the one the moment if I do not lock the van it will start the engine, if I lock the van sometimes it does not let me back in so I have to do in manually then the key will not turn in the ignition for a while.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Carl - Thank you for your reply.

Ok - with that , and the symptoms you have, this is indicative of a fault with either the key, or the computer unit that has control over the ignition / immob / cdl system - esi system.

If you had another key, then that would have been ideal as you could quickly rule that out ( or in ) as the problem..

As it is - Im afraid you will have to go straight for the diagnostics. Sadly, this is going to mean having the help of a garage with the equipment - most owners don't posses such equipment, so I have to advise that Im afraid... there is just no other way on this marque / year of vehicle /system, of properly testing and diagnosing what's going on.. it has to have the equipment connected via the vehicles OBD port to run the tests to find the issue to cure it.

You don't have to use a dealer not if you can find a garage locally that has the equipment as needed - or, and usually cheaper all round, is to use a mobile auto locksmiths - who have the equipment to test that system on the vehicle - can come to you and test it / find the fault for you. Once its properly identified, it can then be cured - but again -it has to have the equipment on this one, to properly ID the fault to cure it...

So thats the way forward on this one now... Hopefully it will be found that its just a key fault - and if so, they can make you a new key, program it and that will be that - but either way again, thats the way to get to the bottom of this for you Carl.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as I have left van unlocked I now find battery does not have enough power to start engine

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Carl -

Thank you for your message -

It was 3 days ago when I sent you your "answer" as showing above... If the battery has gone flat in that 3 days - its not because you haven't locked it - either the battery is at fault / faulty - not retaining / holding its charge - or you have what's called a parasitic drain on the battery...

I suggest then at this stage to have the battery tested properly - at a garage or battery shop - with proper pro test equipment - this will check for faulty cells etc... and then go from there.

Too - if you have a faulty battery, this can cause the problems you are having... as will any charging system issues, which they should also check for.

So you need to have that checked as above Carl - and then go from there - as I mentioned in my initial reply / answer as I refereed to showing above.

For now you will need to jump start the vehicle to get it to somewhere to get it tested out as above..

Let me know how you go / if you need anything else.

Meantime - I do need you to click on the" OK ratings" for me now please at this point - and I thank you in advance for that now.

Then if there is anything more, you can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert