mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Just had a new towbar fitted to an 09 plate ML320 CDi. The

Customer Question

Just had a new towbar fitted to an 09 plate ML320 CDi. The powertailgate will not close now. When the button is pressed it comes down a few inches and stops. It is very solid to the push and feels as if something may break if force is used. The problem may not be connected to the towbar but there was no problem previously. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is that the tow bar was mounted to high and is obstructing the tail gate and stopping it from coming down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Towbar is nowhere near the tailgate. The tailgate is stuck nearly full open. The towbar is detachable and is not on. I dont think this is the problem

Rgds John

Ok and you can't hear any noise from the motor at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes motor sounds like it is working but tailgate goes a few inches and stops. The motor strains a little then stops.

Ok from what you are describing this is the regulator inside the tail gate that is coming up and stopping the motor from doing its job, this is a fairly common issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what would you reccomend we do?

The regulator inside of the tail gate will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

You may be correct but I am not convinced. We will investigate further.

Let me know if you have any further thoughts.

Rgds John

Check out the regulator and let me know what you find,thAnks.