Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, i have a mercedes vito 108 diesel 98, had problems with

Customer Question

Hi, i have a mercedes vito 108 diesel 98, had problems with the glowplug light staying on, the van would turn over and briefly fire up only to stall. Eventually light would go out and i could start van no problems and would drive fine. This happened a couple of times and now light stays on continuously, will turnover but not start.
I have checked power to glowlamp relay and that seems to be ok.
could it possibly be an immobiliser problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

As there has been a delay - can you please tell me what if anything , you have done in the interim - and also - exactly what has been done / checked - anything replaced etc.. any tests done etc?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi sorry for delay but have been out of country, with regards to my Vito, I have since replaced glowplugs, which temporarily sorted the problem and the van started ok for a week, but then glowplug light started staying on allthough van still started and drove. Until recently when same problem of non-starting occured.

I have checked glowlamp relay circuit which seems to be fine and also replaced glowplugs.

I discovered a cluster of electrics in a bag type covering which seemed to be wet, and have since dried them out, but all other electrics seem to be fine.

Tnanks for advice, Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again...

Thank you for your message and info as above.

Im sorry for the delay too - as its been some 55 days + , Im afraid I lost you - and have just come across you again now ;)

So I have read through what you have there - certainly any issues with the wet electrics and so on need to be fully sorted before anything else yes..

Re the glow plugs - I'll just mention - with these, we tend to find that they tend to like the use of genuine MB glow plugs - they are more expensive... but the cheaper ones do give all sorts of issues - from odd non start issues to not lasting at all - so I don't know what you have fitted- but if not MB ones, I would recommend them - or Bosch.

Now - further.. the glow plug light - being on as it is. This light works as an engine management fault light when its on like this.. So - ideally you should have a garage run a plug in fault code test for you .. As that light is staying on, there will be fault codes relating to your faults on the Ecu fault log / memory - So doing as above will point to where you underlying fault lies..

So check re the plugs as above... then have the test done as above if still needed after that..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.