Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

tailgate not locking on merc a class 2005

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help..

Can I just check / clarify with you - is it that its not "locking" - as in to lock with the key / system - or, that its not closing shut / latching - ??

Kind Rgds- MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the remote central locking system is working on the passenger doors , lock ,unlock , but the tailgate is not latching, locking there is no key locking on the tailgate its only from the key fob

stopped working after placing lots of bags in the back , tried to close tailgate but would not close , moved bags around and then it would not latch closed , have checked nothing is stopping it from closing

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Peter -

Thank you for that info.

Sometimes what can happen is the lock itself /the catch mechanism gets moved - just slightly but enough to cause it not to latch so it could be worth checking that..

The other thing is - given what you say - open the tailgate - and look at the lock - see if its actually "closed" -- sometimes they stick closed..and you need to insert a round tool / screwdriver - and unlock the lock/ button -while pulling down to unlatch it - with that latch closed - in the closed position, it wont latch - so its worth checking / doing that as above at this stage.. The central locking will not work if thats happened too..

Other than that -its developed a fault either in the wiring / the lock mechanism or the solenoid - in the gate - that then would have to be checked - But try all the above first - let me know how you go..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything else -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the lock on the tailgate moves ok with a screwdriver , not jammed . the catch on the floor of the boot is bolted down ok

what position should the "jaws" of the lock be in if they are in lock mode / open mode can you send picture/

still think it is something to do with over filling the boot and trying close it with bags in the way

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Peter - thank you for your reply and info there.

I dont have a pic of a lock Peter - but basically to explain the position - if you can imagine, the lock ( in the tailgate ) has to be "open" to go around and latch on the catch on the floor...so - you should be able to insert your screwdriver - UP into the lock - not having to slide it through any hole... If you cannot place it UP through into the lock - and you have to place it / insert / slide it in through the hole - then the lock is latched closed - and needs to be opened... I hope you understand that. The best way if you are not sure , is to compare it with the other door locks - look at them and compare - you will see how a open lock should be.

Re the catch on the floor- as you say, its bolted down - but sometimes they can move - just slightly out of position - espeically when the boot has had a lot of stuff in and one heavily tries to shut the boot - tailgate... it can physically move the latch out of place - even though it appears to look tight... check it very carefully - The fault has to be one or the other as I have mentioned above Peter -

Again - let me know how you get on - Im always happy to help more if needed -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the OK/ Excellent ratings for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks will again check lock and get back to you

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all Peter -

Im here throughout the day..

Im sure it will go ok for you - worse scenario would be you need to fit a new lock etc - but let me know how you go anyway..

If you get it done or we are done here - please dont forget to click on the OK ratings for me as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

Best Rgds, MIKE.