Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

my break light/ driver side isnt not working on a mercedes

Customer Question

my break light/ driver side isnt not working on a mercedes eclass 2006/56. its says back up light on etc
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name is Marty. Most likely your brake light LED has failed but you might also have a problem with the voltage supply to the lamp. I would first inspect the electrical connector to the tail lamp and make sure that there are no burned terminals or corrosion on the connector. If it checks good you most likely will need a new LED but a voltage check can be performed at the connector to be sure that the rear SAM provides current momentarily to the brake light before it switches to the other lamp.

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

hi, i will check that now, are the led lamps expensive to buy? also whay does it say back up tail light left and right are on

Marty :

When the brake lights do not work the rear SAM switches the brake light function to the tail light bulbs so you still have brake lights. If you post your 17 digit vin number I can look up the parts price for you.

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

when it say back on, the break light doesnt work, but the tail light does?

Marty :

Correct, when you press the brake the rear SAM should substitute another bulb for the brake light if the brake light is not working. Is that what your's is doing?

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

yes the break light is not working when the break is pressed.. but all the other light work

Marty :

Ok, most likely you just need to replace the circuit board in the lamp. Can you post the vin number for me so I can check the part number and price for you?

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

so when pressed the break pedal, the break light doesnt work. even when the back up is on

Marty :

Are both brake lights not working or is it just one side that is not working?

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

just the driver side that doesnt work.

Marty :

Ok, I'd check the driver's side connector first but it sounds like the drivers side circuit board in the lamp needs replacing.

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

ok will check, iit wont be a fuse will it?

Marty :

No it cannot be a fuse problem.

JACUSTOMER-2eooccss- :

ok i will check now and will give you the vin number

Marty :

ok

Marty :

Hi, I'm just checking in to see if you need anymore help with this.