Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

steering on my w209 clk 3.2 avantgarde amg is light when turning

Customer Question

steering on my w209 clk 3.2 avantgarde amg is light when turning wheel stationary but as revs increase it becomes heavy when driving any anwers? to my knowledge pump has been changed thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the car is fitted with speed sensitive power steering

so as road speed increases the steering will get heavier so if you mean increasing road speed then this is normal

if you mean you're sat stationary and by revving the engine the steering gets heavier then this is not right and I'd 1st check the fluid level in the reservoir is correct and the fluid isn't getting foamy / aerated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes understand but it was not that noticeably heavy before the pump was replaced proffessionaly. it is quite heavy when going around roundabout which it wasnt before ideas??? could uderstand if was at greater speed to weight wheels for stability

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Phil

OK this certainly sounds like the system is either low on fluid or the pump isn't being driven properly

check the fluid level 1st and then inspect the belt for signs of shinyness and ensure its fully engaged on the pulley - sat properly in its groove
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will advise my local mercedes garage and advise they too check but that will be next week so cant tell you any more thanks for now

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem

if I can help more then just get back to me on this post