Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a C200 Kompressor Aventgarde. When starting on cold

Customer Question

I have a C200 Kompressor Aventgarde. When starting on cold the engine starts first time no problem. I put my foot on the foot brake and engage reverse gear, then I get severe shuddering which is felt through my steering wheel. I release my foot off the break and reverse the shuddering dies down. I apply footbrake again and engage drive the shuddering starts again.I release my foot an drive to the end of my road 30 seconds.I apply footbrake and stop shuddering starts again.release foot brake and drive off shuddering dies down.after driving for 3 or 4 mins if I stop no more shuddering.while engine is warming sounds rough. After warmed up all is OK.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

I just need to ask - is the car a manual or auto?

What mileage does it have?

Do you get any fault lights on in this period at all?

What is its service history like - when was it last serviced / service due?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The car is auto.

What mileage does it have?

Mileage is 82,000

Last serviced in November, I have asked the garage to look at the fault but they say it does not do it for them, I have left the car over night with them but they still say it does not do it for them. The car as always been serviced regular.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply / info..

Can I just ask further then in view of the above - when / how did this start to come about... and was it sudden or gradual?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike

This all started one cold morning a year ago. When I took the car into be serviced I told them and they told me that it did not happen when they tested it. But that they had a good look and said it could be engine I gave them the go ahead to fit them. They fitted 2 engine mountains and a gear box mountain. the weather had warmed up and the car behaved for a while. Then one cold morning I started the car and it happened again. I made an appointment to have the car looked at but a bit of bad luck I had a heart attack the day before. I made a new appointment and left the car overnight so the could start the car cold in the morning. But I don't thin k it could have been cold enough that morning because they said it did not happen but they said that the problem could be the throttle body. They cleaned out the throttle body and said to see how it goes. This problem only happens when first starting on a cold day. The vibration only happens when my foot is on the foot brake and reverse or drive gear is engaged. The garage that I take my car to only deals with Mercedes but it is a long way and I cant always get there. that's why I am trying you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Ray -

Thank you for the extra info , that is very helpful..

Given the problem only happens as you describe, it was never likely to be mountings of any sort Im afraid - but there are different reasons / causes for what you have -

With the foot on the brake, this applies or takes vacuum from the engine for the servo assisted brakes - If the engine tick over rate is too low, lower than it should be, that can cause this - the shuddering etc so it needs to be first checked for any inlet air / vac leaks of any sort on or around the inlet side of the engine system - and the braking servos system. Thats the first way forward.

If nothing is found there, then this goes more toward the engine temp side of things - what I mean is, when its cold its more likely to do it as the system is not right. The suspect then would be the Ect sensor - thats the engine coolant temp sensor.. This sensor sends constant temp info to the engine management computer - the computer then controls the engine fuelling etc as appropriate.. and makes adjustment for the likes of you braking etc... If the signal is wrong through a faulty sensor etc, the ecu ( computer) doesnt compensate and you can get this shuddering etc.

The Ect sensor is reasonably cheap - so I would suggest replace that ( after the above ) -and see if that then cures it..
Further to that - I note they have cleaned the throttle body etc - but the Idle control is overall controlled by the throttle body - On these there is a known issue with the throttle body becoming somewhat porous - listen very carefully when its doing its "thing" - see if you can hear whistling coming from that area - if there are no loose vac pipes etc, thats the issue -and the answer to that is replacement of the throttle body..

IF not - then it really needs to be connected to a diag machine - not for just fault codes - but to ruin Live Data stream tests at the time its having this issue - which will then ID the fault for you..

If needed Ray, any good local garage can do the above for you --

So work through as above on this one to get this sorted for you..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unable to comment because not sure if this will rectify the fault.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply -

All I can do is suggest ways forward given the symptoms you describe - Obviously I cant be there to run tests etc - I can only advise as above... You now need to follow through on these things -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.