Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

How do I check the gearbox oil level on my 2000 320E, if low

Customer Question

How do I check the gearbox oil level on my 2000 320E, if low how do I top
up and with what type of oil
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. Can you please post your 17 digit vin number for me so I can look up the information on your car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WDB2102652B147830

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hello Colin, thank you for the vin number. There is no dipstick for the automatic transmission on your car. You will need to purchase the Mercedes dipstick tool in order to do the fluid level check. There is a transmission dipstick tube located at the rear of the engine compartment but there is no dipstick in the tube. You need to pry the red lock tab from the filler cap and remove the cap. The tool is inserted into the tube until it touches the bottom of the oil pan then you remove the tool and take your reading. The fluid is checked at 80°C with the engine running in park or neutral. Click here for a transmission dipstick tool. I've attached the workshop instructions for checking the fluid level below. Let me know if you have any questions. And Please remember to rate my service!

Check Fluid Level In Automatic Transmission

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty

The lock tab at the top of the tube (Located at the back of the engine on the left looking from the front of the car) is black, am I looking at the correct tube

Best regards

Colin

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
That sounds correct Colin, there is only one dipstick tube back there with a black cap. Sometimes the lock is already missing and just the cap is there. Click here for a good write up on the fluid change and checking procedure.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Colin, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. It looks like you have not yet rated my service on this question. Do you need anymore help with this? If not, please rate my service to close the question.

Marty