Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2009 year Mercedes sprinter the inside tread

Customer Question

I have a 2009 year Mercedes sprinter 313 cdi the inside tread on the tyre wears quickly the steering rack has a knocking sound when steering at stationery and when going around a long right hand bend theirs a knocking from under the drivers floor ive replaced the front shocks and the lower suspension arm drivers side the mot has just been passed with no problems found but Im sure theirs play in the drivers side end of the steering rack the track rod end is good but theirs up and down play in side the rack body were the track rod end screws in any ideas do I need a new rack

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the track rod end can be replaced but it can be very difficult to unscrew the cap the retains the ball of the rod end

often the easiest route is to remove the entire rack so it can be held securely in a vice

and on some models there is scope for adjustment by removing shims to increase the preload onto the ball end and tighten it up

on others the ball end and track rod are one sealed unit that screws into the rack end and its secured with a locknut

I'd suggest getting in touch with a steering specialist to see if spare parts are available for your car or they 'll do a an exchange rack which will be chepear than a new rack

http://www.power-steering.co.uk/