Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

ML280 2006. Front windscreen wipers failing intermittently,

Customer Question

ML280 2006. Front windscreen wipers failing intermittently, garage diagnosed and replaced the REAR SAM. 10 days later, same problem with Front windscreen wipers, garage now diagnosed a problem with FRONT SAM. No other symptoms with other electrics.

Is there any likely way that replacing the REAR SAM could have been the correct solution to a problem with FRONT windscreen wipers. I suspect the garage has replaced something that didn't need to be fixed, and charged us a grand for the privilege.

Thanks!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the rear SAM does not control the front wipers. It looks to me as though the rear SAM was replaced unnecessarily. I've attached a function description of the wiper operation below. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!

MODEL

164.1

The wiper system is operated using the combination switch (S4). The selected wiper level for (front) wiping is transmitted by the steering column module (N80) to the front SAM control unit (N10) via class B CAN.

For rear wiping the selected wiper level is transmitted by the steering column module to the central gateway control unit (N93) via class B CAN to the rear SAM control unit (N10/8), which actuates the tailgate wiper motor (M6/4).