Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 280sl. Fully restored. I get a whistle at 2to2.5 thou

I have a 280sl. Fully restored. I get a whistle at 2to2.5 thou rev. in netural no movement any ideas. Gets worse when hot

Barry
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Barry, my name isXXXXX's pretty hard to say what you may be hearing without actually hearing it myself but I would check the small air filter that screws into the fuel injection pump on the motor and see if the whistling is coming through the filter. If the filter i whistling it means that the air bypass is not closing off for the cold fast idle. My next thought would be a whistling coming from the intake manifold. I'd check the vacuum hoses and the fittings on the manifold for leakage. A mechanics stethoscope is very handy for tracking down sounds like this. Remove the probe from the stethoscope and just use the hose to trace around the engine to see if you can home in on the sound.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!