Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a Merc 500SL , the boot and roof will not open , can

Customer Question

I have a Merc 500SL , the boot and roof will not open , can you help me please . I am capable of repairs but do not want to go down the wrong route .
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. Sorry for the wait. If the boot won't open you should try resetting the PSE pump for the central locks by removing and reinserting fuse 71 in the rear fuse box behind the seat. That may allow you to open the trunk with the switch or the remote. If that fails you can use the mechanical blade key in the trunk lock cylinder to open the trunk. What usually goes wrong on the SL that causes this problem is the trunk lock goes bad. When the trunk lock leaks vacuum it will not pull the trunk down tight and therefore the roof will not work. Replacing the trunk lock usually cures this problem. Let me know if you have any questions.

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fuse 71 ? Where is the fuse box behind the seat ? I sure can not find it.?

Sorry to be a nuisance , Adrian

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Adrian, the fuse is located below the storage compartment in the back. I've attached a picture below. You can remove the false floor in the bottom of the storage compartment to access the fuses. The picture below shows the front cover removed but you can also access the fuses through the bottom of the storage compartment. Click here for the fuse assignment.