Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

How to remove and replace tailgate struts on a 1990 230 TE,

How to remove and replace tailgate struts on a 1990 230 TE, I have already removed the plastic trims around the door frame. Lloyd.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lloyd, my name isXXXXX've attached all the instructions below for you.

Replace Gas Struts
Remove Trim Paneling
Remove Side Paneling

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Marty,

From the exploded diagram that you have sent it would appear that the gas strut is removed while attached to the hinge: however, on my 1990 230TE the part of the hinge bolted to the bodywork is in two parts; the "inboard" bolts are accessible whereas the "outboard" bolts although visible are not immediately accessible by any tool big enough to grip and turn them. The hinge attachment is of a different type to that in your diagram, please advise!

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lloyd, you don't remove the hinges. The picture is just an exploded view of the parts. I have a link to a good diy with pictures that may help. Click here.