MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi there, I have a 2002 c270, I have a clicking around dash

Hi there, I have a 2002 c270, I have a clicking around dash seams to be in the middle, just replaced radio. No effect, noise go's away after 5 minutes. Cheers
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you.

MB Paul :

The noise is almost certainly one of the heater flap motors behind the dash - the drive between the motor & the heater housing often break causing this clicking noise.

MB Paul :

the motors do a sweep to each stop when you first switch on - when the drive breaks the flap forced the drive past the stop which causes the clicking noise - this continues for a few minutes when the motor will stop trying to reach the end stop position.

MB Paul :

there are around 8-10 different motors on the heater housing & the fault can be any one of them - some of the motors can be removed by taking off dash trims - others need the complete dash & heater housing removed to acces them (over 10 hours work!)

MB Paul :

to identify which drive is at fault the car should be checked on Mercedes STAR diagnostic tool - this will have stored a fault with the bad motor & drive in the AC control unit

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul