Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi I have purchased a mercedes c220 sport and it hasnt run

Hi I have purchased a mercedes c220 sport and it hasnt run properly since purchase six weeks ago. Problem; I get messages saying abs ect is not working and this can happen at any time. The car will lose all power and come to a stand still. I then restrat the car and all is well until the next time it happens which could be any time. Its to dangerous now to drive. I recently took it to the dealer who fitted a (you will have to help me here) a fuel sensor rod) at a cost of 948.00. Ihave very little info on the history of the car and am unable to contact the seller. Apart from the fuel pump could it possibly be the ecu or maybe something else
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX the ABS warning lights come on at the same time that the car loses power?

Customer:

Yes Marty, It also says about tyre pressure left lamp etc

Customer:

Funny part of it is that the radio turns on and blow air come full on as well

Customer:

It doesn't always lose full power It just flickers briefly if you know what I mean showing mal functioning then appears to reset

Marty :

Ok, when all of this happens does the transmission stop shifting gears?

Customer:

Im not sure, the car just fades, as it does it does not lower in gear

Customer:

Sorry im not being very helpful

Marty :

That's ok

Marty :

What you are describing sounds more like an electrical fault with the battery or the charging system. You seem to have a lot of different electrical malfunctions occurring at the same time.

Marty :

I would have the dealer perform a complete diagnostic scan with the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester to check for related fault codes in the various modules. I'd be looking for voltage related codes or network communication codes.

Marty :

It's possible that the alternator is malfunctioning.

Marty :

You might also have a fault with one of the signal acquisition modules that relays messages across the vehicle network.

Marty :

I can understand how you think the fuel pump could be malfunctioning but that would not account for all of the other symptoms.

Marty :

I think this is more likely going to be a fault with one of the modules or with the power supply.

Customer:

I have had a full diagnostic test by a merc dealer but nothing else is showing. Could a faulty ecu pose a problem

Marty :

intermittent fault with one of the ecu's could cause the problem. I'd be suspicious of the traction control module since the ABS warning lights come on.

Marty :

You might also have a fault with one of the sensors in the traction control system causing the vehicle to slow to a stop.

Marty :

That would not account for the other problems with the blower and the radio however.

Marty :

It's going to be difficult to pinpoint the fault without some troubleshooting.

Marty :

As far as the performance is concerned it might be a good idea to replace the fuel filter.

Marty :

But once again I would not relate a clogged fuel filter to the other problems.

Marty :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty :

Are you still there? Are you getting my replies?

Customer:

Marty Just one final question Could these problems be occurring due to a faulty remap. Why I ask is because the seller said that it had a remap.

Marty :

I honestly do not think it is a problem with a remap.

Customer:

Thnx for your time looks like ive got a lot of investigating to do

Marty :

You're quite welcome.

Customer:

I`m Gone. will give you good rating Thnx

Marty :

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.