MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi,when I rock my r class I find the left suspension is softer

Hi,when I rock my r class I find the left suspension is softer I can also feel it when driving.If it had shocks I would say the shock had weakened.I just bought this car second hand.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

Although your car is fitted with air suspension - the airbags are there as a replacement for steel springs. The car will still have traditional shock absorbers fitted

MB Paul :

These are very prone to failing & often leak the fluid out - check under the vehicle for leaks from the shocks

MB Paul :

If leaking then it is recommended to replace both rear shocks as a pair - also check the lower bush that the shock mounts to. If leaking heavily then the fluid can cause the rubber bush to fail & these may also need replacing

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer:

Hi paul, I noticed when standing looking at the back of the car the left side is sitting higher than the right. Is there hight sensors on these cars.

MB Paul :

they do have level sensors - often however a slight leak in the airbag unit is the cause of the vehicle sitting lower one side, especially if it drops further when parked

MB Paul :

Some slight variation is not unusual however & nothing to be concerned about