Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I just got a 2008 GL 450 Formatic Benz. I observed that whenever

Customer Question

I just got a 2008 GL 450 Formatic Benz. I observed that whenever the car is on low RPM, the steering will be very stiff if you want to repark or if you are in a traffic but want to leave the traffic queue. I have checked the steering fluid and everything is ok. What could be the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX steering at low speeds can be caused by a fault with the speed sensitive power steering valve on the steering gear. The electrical connector to the valve should be checked and a new valve should be installed to see if it cures the problem. The other possibility would be a weak power steering pump. You could also try flushing the power steering system to see if it helps but the speed sensitive power steering valve or a weak pump is the most likely fault for this symptom. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Marty, I am not currently in town but will act in line with your advise when I get back to town in four days time.

However, if I have to work on the speed sensitive power steering valve of the pump do you have an idea of the cost implication?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the valve retails for $310. The labor allowance to replace the valve is approximately 3 hours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty, I got someone else that said the problem must be with the power steering rack. So am trying to get that fixed.

Aminu, A