Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Car was flooded a week ago. Would not start for two days then

Car was flooded a week ago. Would not start for two days then started. Mechanic changed oil, sparks and filters. Now the car sounds like a diesel, is shaking, slow on acceleration and engine mgt light has come on. The car is an A150 classic 2007 plate
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome...

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you...

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

Im afraid there is a fault with the CHAT system so I have had to switch us to the QA system.. we can carry on fine here..

Can you please tell me - since the engine light has come on - have you had anything done / checked... and / or any diagnostics done at all?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing has been done since the light was noticed approx 90 mins ago
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

Ok - well the light will be on because the engine management computer ( ecu ) had detected the fault... A plug in diagnostic test at a local garage is the usual way forward - doing that will tell you for sure via fault code, where the fault is.. whats causing the missing / judder -

But before you go down that route, its well worth checking the systems over - Make sure the ignition is off.. then check all the wiring - unplug the sensors and all connections that you can see and check for damp / wet. After a flooding - often water can even after having been dried out- still be up the insulation and over time, work its way down to the pins in connectors -and hence, cause issues such as you have.

Check also for water in the air piping / tubing - and air filter.

So its well worth doing that - and then if you don't find anything as above - remove the spark plug connectors / coils and check there - most likely you will find water / wet in there - after drying out it should be ok again. Once its running ok again, the EML ( light ) will go off..

IF you cannot find anything as above - then you will need to have the diagnostic test done as mentioned above... any local garage can do this for you .. If you have compment failure, such as ign coil and so on, which could just be coincidental - that will find this... That is the way forward if you cannot find anything as above - thats the cost effective and time saving way then,....

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.