MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I am trying to change my 2000 Mercedes c class compressor rear

Customer Question

I am trying to change my 2000 Mercedes c class compressor rear tyre. I got all the wheel nuts off including the one requiring the special Mercedes nut, but I can't pull the wheel itself off - why?! I have the centring pin thing and have tried it in different holes but it doesn't seem to help me get the wheel off...
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi - my name is Paul & I will try to assist you. The alloy wheels are very prone to corroding onto the hub & if the wheel is still tight after removing the 5 wheel bolts then this will be what is causing the wheel not to come free easily.

MB Paul :

Sometimes they can be very tight indeed & need the rear of the rim hammering with a soft face hammer - this should only be done with the vehicle suitably secured while liften on a good quality jack or axle stand.

MB Paul :

Sometimes just a few hits with the palm of your hand on the top of the tyre while pulling the opposite side from the rear will release it - again - ensure the vehicle is safe to do this!

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

Well, I don't have the appropriate hammer. Can I loosen iut in any other way?

MB Paul :

It really depends on how tight it is corroded on the hub - using a block of wood on the inside of the rim with a normal hammer will also work

MB Paul :

Just please do ensure the vehicle is raised & secured safely

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

I'm assuming the tyre will bite the dust obviously but I wouldn't want to do anything dodgy to the wheel or car.

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

Just to be clear, are you saying I should put the wood against the inside of the rim, menaing I would have to get under the car and knock it outwards?

MB Paul :

The tyre will usually be fine if you are just hitting the rim - a soft faced hammer is certainly the best tool to use. As said sometimes just a few hits on the outside of the tyre with your palm while pulling the wheel from the inside on the opposite side will release the wheel

MB Paul :

yes - hitting the inside of the wheel rim to push the wheel off the hub

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

Ok - I'll try it

MB Paul :

ok - as said do ensure the vehicle is lifted safely!

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

I didn't have any joy with the technique of hitting the wheel with the palm of my hand while pulling opposite side, nor with the hammering a piece of wood braced against the inside rim. However, a neighbour stopped and explained that if I loosened the nuts a fraction and drove back and forward a metre, then jacked the car up again, then the wheel would come off easy. He was right, it did first time. I feel very lucky he walked by, although obviously I'm loathed to pay £14 for your no doubt well intentioned advice which did not solve my problem!

JACUSTOMER-e5wesr8w- :

Hi Paul, I clicked bad based on results, no offence.

MB Paul :

well as bad as you think my service is driving a car with loose wheel bolts (although it may have worked!) is NOT a good idea - you could damage the threads in the hub by doing this even for a short distance! It is not something as a professional that I could ever recommend because of this risk of damage! The bolts will flex and it is possible that the threads will become damaged - I am glad that this has worked for you but this site is advice based on professionals & your solution is not something (I would hope!) that any professional would ever recommend!!