Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi. 2004 Mercedes 320 cdi Avantguarde estate . The ABS light

Hi. 2004 Mercedes 320 cdi Avantguarde estate . The ABS light and ESP is on and the steering has got slightly heavier. Could you help. many thanks .Dave.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dave, my name isXXXXX is your question regarding this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty.The ABS light and the ESP light just came on and the steering has got heavy. The dash tells me to contact workshop. Could you give me an idea of what the problem could be before i take it to the garage. cheers .Dave.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dave, sorry I missed you earlier today. The problem you are having is usually going to be caused by a bad sensor in the traction control system. It will usually be either a wheel speed sensor or a steering angle sensor. When the system malfunctions you lose your speed sensitive power steering as well that's why the steering got a little heavier. You are going to need to get the car connected to the Mercedes Star tester to read out the fault codes that are stored in the traction control module. There will be codes stored that will point directly to the problem. You could also have a faulty traction control module but it is not nearly as common as the sensor failure.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please note that your good faith deposit does not pay the expert for his help until you leave a positive rating. Please be sure to rate my service!