MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi there i have a slk 230 when i put it in drive its very slow

Hi there i have a slk 230 when i put it in drive its very slow on the uptake and when it come up to change gear it jerks into gear I was told that it has filters and they get blocked or dirty and it makes it slow and jerky because the oil cannot pass through quick is right or not
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you.

MB Paul :

This is certainly one possibility but there are other possible causes.

MB Paul :

In the first instance I would be checking the transmission oil level (you need a special workshop dipstick for this) as a low oil level can cause problems & if low then top the oil up to the correct level & check the transmission for leaks (the electrcal connector seals are a very common cause.

MB Paul :

I would also be checking for fault codes using a diagnostic tool.

MB Paul :

If this is all ok then the next step would be to remove the transmission sump pan & check inside for excessive signs of swarf which may indicate mechanical wear inside the transmission.

MB Paul :

Following this a transmission oil & filter change with a flush would also be a good idea to see if the problem improves.

MB Paul :

If the problem still persists then it is likely to get quite expensive after this point - transmission removal & strip down & rebuild would be required to see if there is any mechanical wear inside the transmission or problems within the valve body.

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer:

Hi that sounds about right, well is it possible it's could be transmission computer

MB Paul :

It is possible - although generally the transmission ECU is fairly reliable, we do not get too many issues with the ECU itself but it is a possibility

Customer:

Ok thank you for your I will check the gearbox and control unit thanks again

MB Paul :

no problem at all - please remember to rate my answer positively if I have been helpful or let me know if you need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician