Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi there I need some help re the rewiring of a second hand

Customer Question

Hi there

I need some help re the rewiring of a second hand engine - my garage has asked me what I want to do!!

Basically I have a C Class merc which has just had to have a new engine fitted - but the wiring loom is different - but only on the oil sensor. My old engine did not have a dip stick and was sensor controlled for oil levels. The new engine however has a dip stick. The old looms therefore has 3 pins but the new engine one requires 1 pin. And the garage are not sure how to work round this. They say I can have the car back as it is - but then the oil warning light is on constantly. Any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, you can't rewire a 3 pin sensor to a 1 pin. It sounds like the garage installed the wrong engine in the car. I would tell them to install your old oil pan with level sensor on the replacement motor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty