MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

my B180 cdi the auto sometimes locks into lower gear with warning

my B180 cdi the auto sometimes locks into lower gear with warning on display, switch off engine, restart then it can be ok for sometime

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

The transmission locking into a gear & not shifting is a sign that it has gone into limp mode - this happens when the transmission detects certain faults & stops shifting to prevent any further damage. The fact that is resets after switching the ignition off & on again indicates that this is an intermittent faut - the transmission will remain in limp mode until switching off & if the fault is not present when restarting then it will shift fine until it detects a fault once more

MB Paul :

There are many possibilities at this stage & the first step in finding the cause of limp mode is to have the vehicle checked on a diagnostic tool such as Mercedes STAR - the system will have stored fault codes which will help pinpoint the cause of your fault

MB Paul :

A common problem on this model is the speed sensors on the valve body but there are a wide range of other causes which will give the same symptoms

MB Paul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer:

Paul. I am not able to find your answer

sometimes the system causes problems in live chat mode so I have switched this off

see my answer below:

MB Paul :

MB Paul :

MB Paul :

MB Paul :

MB Paul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul