Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Is this problem felt through the brake pedal or aswell as the steering wheel too?

Is this at speed or even at low speeds etc?

Any warnings as such appeared onthe dash since this fault occurred?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slight feedback on gentle breaking from say 30mph.....however,60mph causes vibration and rumble which raises an eyebrow and is quite concerning. There are no warning/advisory lights on show and apart from this the car drives smoothly at all speeds.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..Usually the first place to check out out would be the discs on the car and check for any issues surface wise especially more so the inner side too not just the outer surface you see..this would really require the caliper/pads removed to properly check that considering the backing plate will be in the way..if a garage is to check this run dial guage and see if any of the discs showing any form a run out/slight warping and thus this can cause a vibration through the pedal at speed etc.any run out the disc(s) can cause a vibration/pulse through the that would certainly be something to have checked out aswell - obviously other factors such as an abs system fault can cause this due to broken target rings..these are the rings/teeth that the abs sensors monitior any broken/fractured abs target rings can too cause this so that would be another area to have check out aswell.often this wont bring up the abs warning light so something to bear in mind - too not forgetting to rule out any suspension wear issues has to be checked out if all the above seems to be in order..But as above the best things to check first as starting point any way would be the discs surface condition and any possible warping which can be factor due to overheating maybe by faulty caliper not fully releasing and causing partial braking and thus overheats the disc and warps it or flexi brake hose not allowing fluid to return again same symptoms of those above would be best place to start and see whats found..I do hope this helps