MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I HAVE A 2000 MERCEDES E240 AUTO IT DRIVES IN FIRST AND REVERSE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2000 MERCEDES E240 AUTO IT DRIVES IN FIRST AND REVERSE WONT CHANGE UP GEARS
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

The transmission being stuck in 1 gear is an indication that it has gone into limp mode.

If the transmission is going into limp mode then it should have stored a fault code - the first thing to do is get the codes read on a diagnostic tool.

Also the oil level should be checked - there is no dipstick installed from the factory so a special tool is required (a dipstick!).

Check the transmission for oil leaks - this transmission is prone to leaking from the electrical connector on the front of the transmission . If leaking from here then the electrical spacer & seals in the transmission will need to be replaced & the electrical connector cleaned with electrical cleaner.

A common fault inside the transmission is with the electrical plate - this usually shows up as a code for the transmission speed sensors. The valve chest needs to be removed for this.

Another possibility can be undervoltage fault codes stored – this is often down to a faulty battery. The battery should be checked with an electronic battery tester if undervoltage fault codes are present in the transmission ECU.

I would also recommend a transmission oil & filter change & inspect inside the sump pan for any signs of swarf indicating internal wear or damage to the transmission .

Best regards, Paul

JACUSTOMER-meojh3pu- :

not very clear on special tool (dipstick)

MB Paul :

Hi, sorry you felt my answer wasnt clear regarding the dipstick - as said it is a special workshop tool - available from tool suppliers or check here on ebay: special workshop dipstick

MB Paul :

I have tried to be very concise with my answer for you, if there is anything else you need to know then please let me know

MB Paul :

Regards, Paul