MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

Hi, I have a 2002 c230k coupe auto. It has just started making

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2002 c230k coupe auto. It has just started making a rattling/jingling noise around 1500-2000 rpm. It happens when the revs go up and on the way back down. It sounds like its coming from under the red kompressor lid. Hope this makes sense.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.

MB Paul :

Hi, my name is Paul & I will try to assist you

MB Paul :

Id does make sense what you are saying & is almost certainly a worn camshaft adjuster sprocket causing the noise - a common problem on these engines

MB Paul :

If you rev it from stationary it kind of makes a "brrrrrrrrr - brrrrrrrr" noise as the engine revs rise & fall

MB Paul :

You can confirm this by disconnecting the camshaft solenoid on the front of the engine to see if the noise goes away - however this will store a fault code that will need erasing with a diagnostic tool or the engine warning light may come on

MB Paul :

replacing is quite an expensive job - from memory the part is around £400 or so for the camshaft sprocket plus other gaskets & seals etc and around 4-5 hrs labour

Customer: Yes that's what's happening. Is that an expensive fix?
MB Paul :

beat you to it! see above

MB Paul :

MB Paul :

let me know if you need anything else or please remember to rate my answer positively if I have been helpful

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer: Will it wreck the car if I keep driving it?
MB Paul :

I have never known one to do anything else other than make a noise

Customer: Guess I will turn the radio up then­čśä. Thanks for your rapid response.
MB Paul :

haha! no problem at all

MB Paul :

enjoy the rest of your weekend

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paul. If I unplug the solenoid is the noise meant to stay there or go away?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
hi,

if you unplug the solenoid the noise will usually go away

regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know this must sound completely stupid- forgive me lol but can I leave it unplugged?
Expert:  MB Paul replied 3 years ago.
it will mean the camshaft timing will not function - you will probably get lack of power & poor fuel economy by leaving it disconnected.

Also as mentioned the engine warning light may come on

Regards, Paul