Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

How do adjust rear bumper on my 2005 clk 200 cabriolet I have

How do adjust rear bumper on my 2005 clk 200 cabriolet I have had a very minor bump which has pushed the near side corner in about 1/4 inch but you can notice it. Nick
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you -

Im afraid there is no adjustment for this as such - you will more than likely have slightly bent the mount that is attaching the bumper casing to the strengthener / carrier -

You will need to remove the bumper casing and then look to see exactly whats happened once its off - and then deal with as you find....again - more than likely as above. Once its done - you replace the bumper / cover and it will fit straight up to its proper position with no adjustment needed.

I will give you a pic with general instructions to help. While this is of a 320 , its the only one I have, it will help you ..Click the image below to open / use :

graphic

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Mike dont understand what you mean by bumper casing. Not mechanically minded so picture so small not much help All I know is the corner is in 1/4 inch and there is a small gap between rear light and bumper

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Nick -

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. To explain -the "bumper" on these - is really known in the motor trade - as a "casing" - as these days, thats all they are - ie, a casing that covers over the strengthener / carrier etc.. So it is essentially one and the same thing - when we say "casing" - we mean - "bumper".. ;)

Ive just checked the image for you Nick - you need to double click on it - and it will open up in a new window - bigger than above.. and then too - if you need it even bigger - you can just use the Ctrl and + key on your keyboard - that will bring the image even bigger for you ..

So again - its as per above - the problem is underneath the casing / the bumper, you need to sort that as I have explained above to re align for you. Im assuming that the actual plastic bumper casing is not dented - it it is or damaged etc - that would need separate attention .. Often they can be re aligned using really hot water ( or a proper heat gun made for the job )to make the plastic somewhat supple, then the case straightened out as needed ...

But again - if its not that Nick- it has to be removed to sort the underside, then your bumper will sit nicely as it should again.

Let me know if you need anything else..

.............Meantime, please do click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me now at this point - and I Thank you in advance for that...

Nb - you can get back to me anytime you might need, clicking the OK ratings does not close you out..

Very best Rgds Nick - MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike got the picture much bigger but none the wiser because the method is in 5 stages and the 1st stage says remove rear bumper Looks like I will have live with it. Tried boiling water poured over area no luck

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Nick -

Sorry about that - there really isn't much else on the subject - but I do have one other pic for you that may help...

As it wont come straight with the hot water trick, then its likely being held in / out of place by the issue I mentioned at the outset, requiring the bumper to come off.

If you follow with the image I will send you - and the other I sent you .. To unclip the bumper to remove it - you have to remove the fixings ( as per the image above ) - and then all along the bottom / under edge -- and top edge of the bumper / casing - and then it will withdraw off - be careful as you pull it off for wires that need undoing for reverse sensors if fitted..

The other image for you is HERE Nick, click the link..

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks ,but I will have to try a local body shop to get more help I am 73 and cannot get under cars anymore

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there...

No problem at all... Thank you for letting me know.

If there is ever anything else, you are most welcome ...

All the very best - MIKE.